Just a reminder folks. If you smell gas – it’s dangerous!!
First thing: shut off your gas. Not in 20 minutes, not in 2 hours. Do it now!
Natural gas, even from a pinhole leak, can build up, concentrate, and touch off. You can blow half your house away.
Second thing. You can use putty or grease for the moment, but you REALLY need a permanent solution. A gas line needs to be fixed permanently.
Call a plumber. He will cut out the leaking section of pipe, and use left-to-right and a nipple to reconnect.